I really tried to like this
book. It was a gift from a dear friend.
1. Contrary the book’s objective: The book calls people to seize the weekend and squeeze it
for all it is worth. If people have duly heeded the call to make time then why
would they only stand outside the
church – surely they have the time to go inside
the church.
2. Acoustic: Show me one church; just one - I dare you, where the acoustics are better on the outside.
3. Beauty: There seems to be an
implication that the beauty of a church environ starts and ends with a choir.
It is plausible that by going inside
a church people will find other items of beauty.
4. Health: The author
is writing from a location where it snows. In my country, church days can be
quite hot. It is plausible that standing outside
to listen to a choir would be detrimental to one’s health.
5. Singing: A church with a choir is a church where people all stand to sing with the choir. Listening outside does not lend well towards singing outside. Listening inside lends well towards singing inside. For instance, you can sing inside amongst a mass of people and have your voice lost in the din. With my poor singing voice, I’m very happy to have my feeble contribution drowned out by others.
The book encourages everyone
to steal back time into their busy lives to ensure weekend serve as down-time.
It is a book that takes the 24/7 world and wrestles it back to weekday and
weekend segments. There is an argument that productivity increases where work
hours concentrate to a set time.
The book, at times, is little
more than a conglomerate of patched together research pieces. Material of the
author from firsthand account is very limited. The author’s sought experience
is thin and is simply recorded.
What really killed it was a
table at the end of the book. The table has the heading “Manifesto for a Good
Weekend”. Under a sub-heading of “Seek beauty”, the author includes the tip:
“Stand outside a church on a Sunday morning and listen to the choir”
Get that, “stand outside
a church”!
Now, that tip is wrong on so
many levels:
2. Acoustic: Show me one church; just one - I dare you, where the acoustics are better on the outside.
5. Singing: A church with a choir is a church where people all stand to sing with the choir. Listening outside does not lend well towards singing outside. Listening inside lends well towards singing inside. For instance, you can sing inside amongst a mass of people and have your voice lost in the din. With my poor singing voice, I’m very happy to have my feeble contribution drowned out by others.
I’ll not be standing outside a
church to listen to the choir. If I do find myself at the front of a church on a Sunday morning, it
will be natural to make the step of going inside
the church. Listening to a choir outside
a church would be like going to a beach and not taking shoes off to feel the
sand – all presence but no connection.
And, when inside the church, I’m
sure that there will be more beauty than just the combined voice of a choir.
Shalom,
Ozhamada
Note: all links good as at 31
January 2018

No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are most welcome. It would be most arrogant of me to think that my opinion, or my research, is 100% sound. Your comments shape and build this work.
I have made edits (and whole post deletions) based on feedback of others. I will continue to do so.