Friday, 11 July 2025

Type 2 productivity

Type 2 productivity is what Australia needs. Sadly, there is too much effort direct at type 1 productivity.

Type 2 productivity are innovations in business practice that are designed to give rise to a productivity gain to both the designer; which is typically an organisation, and the party that is transacting with that organisation. Type 2 productivity makes processes easier for all parties in the process. An example of Type 2 productivity is eBay that comprehensively simplifies both the purchaser and seller experience, allowing, for instance, a seller to print a prepaid mailing label.

Type 1 productivity are innovations in business practice that are designed to give rise to a productivity gain to the designer without any significant productivity gain to the party that is transacting with that designer organisation. Type 1 is seen where users are required to input data into poorly designed online forms. Such forms may be capturing data for the organisation, and making their own processes efficient, but poor design of the form has a cost upon the user.

Type 1 productivity is what I recently experienced in receiving an email from a water authority with an attachment. The attachment had an unreasonable size. The story of that email's attachment continues here in a post I put up on, and later updated on, a community Facebook page:

While I appreciate that this is a first world problem, can anyone please advise if the size in megabyte of XXXXX Council's water bill reached a mammoth size in the most recent mailing. Here I show a graph of the size of the most recent four bills (with 4 being the most recent). 11 Megabyte for an attachment is huge! Council seems to want to consume all my email provider's data capacity."
---
Update: I have had a response from Council:
 
“Hi Ozhamada,
 
Our mail house has identified the cause of the issue which had resulted in emailed account having such a large file size.
 
The file size issue was to do with the newsletter which they have now corrected.
 
Thank you for your enquiry which has helped identify and correct this issue.
 
Regards
 

 
Shalom,
Ozhamada

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are most welcome. It would be most arrogant of me to think that my opinion, or my research, is 100% sound. Your comments shape and build this work.

I have made edits (and whole post deletions) based on feedback of others. I will continue to do so.

Silence at the Dairy

Sitting at the Pyengana Dairy Farmgate CafĂ© in Tasmania ’s lush north-east, I was captivated by the surroundings—the rolling green pastures...