Two sentences from Chapter 4 sunk this book.
Chapter 4 “Log
in the Eye of the Church” exposits the Sermon on the Mount. It draws to these summaries
of the Christian life:
“The basic posture of a Christian in the world
should be one of humble melancholy, accepting their card-carrying membership of
the “league of the guilty”".
“It was the Master of the church himself who
said I should worry more about my own sins that the sins of others”.
And, such a summary
of Christian life is rather depressing.
Dickson has
cast Christians to a pre-cross setting. Christ’s message to the world was not
complete through the Sermon on the Mount. Christ’s message was sealed with his
death and resurrection. The Christian lives in the glorious hope of abundant life
of a Saviour – a Saviour that offers all Christians to mortify their sins in
his flesh.
I need not
adopt a “basic posture…of humble melancholy” as a life sentence. I only need
adopt that posture until I have come to receiving Christ; that I fall to my knees that Christ may pick me up.
I need not “worry
about my sins” for Christ has given me a daily means of mortifying those sins.
I can imagine that a Christian could take the
two sentences to heart such that were paralysed of service to the Lord. They could became so melancholic, and so worried, that they never produced fruit.
They would be the one of whom Christ gave one bag of gold only for them to return one bag of gold (Matthew
25:14-30).
I’ve read
the paperback Zondervan Reflective paperback, first edition, 2021. I borrowed
from Lane Cove Library and enjoyed their wonderful Library to Your Door service
during Sydney’s COVID19 lockdown.
Shalom,
Ozhamada
[311 words]
#goodreads #agreatread #books #loveyourlibrary #book #literature #covid19
Note: this links from my Goodreads account (1 star rating).

No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are most welcome. It would be most arrogant of me to think that my opinion, or my research, is 100% sound. Your comments shape and build this work.
I have made edits (and whole post deletions) based on feedback of others. I will continue to do so.