Tuesday, 22 February 2022

Sermon launch in yesterday's shower

People of the Anglican Diocese of Perth,

Rise up in a storm of discernment and demand better preaching.

For, one of your clergy had not firmly set a sermon by 3:23pm of the prior day.

It was precisely 3:23 yesterday afternoon when I realised that I was not the person who should be preaching to you today. 

I was in the shower. 

Which is what I do when I don’t know what to put in my sermon.” 

The Third Sunday after Epiphany by The Reverend Sarah Stapleton | 23 January 2022, accessible here.

Homiletic lecturers emphatically propose preparation of complete sermon drafts days prior to the day of delivery. 

"If you are due to preach Sunday", they say,

 "then have your first full draft done by Tuesday morn before the cock crows"

It is impressed upon students that they must allow complete sermon drafts to go through refinement that only days of deliberations bring. There is prayer. There is the work of the Spirit.

And, if such lecturers ever consider the role of a shower in sermon preparation, they speak of how the shower moment is one that brings inspiration that finely tunes a single point (rather than as a launching moment).

pexels.com, free and unattributable
A stock image, unknwon woman who is probably not a resident of Perth


(As an aside: One finds it inappropriate for a female preacher to allow male congregants, other than the preacher’s spouse, to imagine her unclad in a shower. Such is the trap of the male mind).


Shalom,

Ozhamada

#Perth#anglican, #perthanglican, #Sermon

Note: Pastor Alistair Beggs illustrates sermon preparation by drawing to how porridge is prepared in Scotland. A good Scot soaks their oats overnight long before cooking them. Pouring a packet of instant oats immediately at the start of the cooking process does not produce anything like the desired product. See:https://youtu.be/sn07712bToU 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are most welcome. It would be most arrogant of me to think that my opinion, or my research, is 100% sound. Your comments shape and build this work.

I have made edits (and whole post deletions) based on feedback of others. I will continue to do so.

Book review - Human Skills in the Age of AI: Insights for Local Government Leadership

Having just finished Andrea Iorio’s Between You and AI: Unlock the Power of Human Skills to Thrive in an AI-Driven World , I was struck by h...